T&T is a republic, which means supreme power rests in all the citizens because we are entitled to vote to elect leaders who are responsible for representing us.
You are here
More raids in terror plot
Another El Socorro resident was detained by for questioning early yesterday morning concerning the plot to disrupt Carnival and several premises—including the Darul Uloom Islamic school, in Cunupia—were searched between then and yesterday afternoon.
This was confirmed by security forces and El Socorro residents yesterday. The search at Darul Uloom began at mid-afternoon and was still going on after 4 pm.
Acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams said last weekend that eight people had been detained relating to the terror plot.
In latest developments, T&T Guardian learned that security forces conducted searches at the Pundit Street, El Socorro premises of a man in the early hours of yesterday and took him away for questioning. The man allegedly had books on Islamic, commerce and one about “Justification for Jihad.”
Police also searched another apartment downstairs at the same address. It was the home of another youth who had already been detained in Tobago. Meanwhile the family of detainee Tariq Mohammed yesterday sent a letter to the acting CoP demanding the release of Mohammed.
His father Shamoon said, “Our lawyer sent the letter seeking his immediate release since 72 hours have passed since he was detained and he should not be held further.”
“If we don’t hear from them by phone within a certain time and he’s not freed we’ll move to serve a writ of habeas corpus Tuesday seeking a decision by a judge in chambers to have him freed.”
“We haven’t been told the basis for his detention. The officer where he’s detained told us he didn’t know what he’s being held for or the status of the probe. The authorities’ public statements haven’t been specific on why he’s being held either.”
He said the family has been able to bring clothes, food and water to Mohammed, but couldn’t see him.
Relatives of other detainees felt the men were being held throughout the full Carnival celebration period.
Yesterday, police sources also said investigations were still continuing and work was being done concerning information on the plot to disrupt Carnival. They said more information will be forthcoming soon.
National Security Minister Edmund Dillon monitoring security reports from around T&T—including on Carnival security—told T&T Guardian, he endorsed Williams’ statements that the recent exercise wasn’t meant to target or attack the Muslim community or any others.
“We’re investigating criminal activity based on intelligence and if that intelligence points in a certain direction we have to investigate it. T&T’s a multi-ethnic and multi-religious country. We respect all and one,” some of the increased police vigilance employed over the Carnival will be maintained year round.
Saying he’s pleased with what he’s seen so far on Monday, he added it was being maintained last night and will be today also. He’ll be walking Carnival locations with acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams today.
Dillon added, “The strong presence is the deterrent. But while we’re doing what ‘s necessary for the success of the effort, it’s also up to the public to enjoy themselves and celebrate peacefully. “
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.